Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Small Life

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void" - (from the movie, "youve got mail")

Right now, my life seems small. Example. Tonight was a more eventful night. I got out of the house and made my way to the dollar store to pick up random Christmas craft ingredients to DIY my Christmas decorations this year. Well, I guess if you move a million times in 3 years, you are more at risk for missing boxes with Holiday decorations. That would be me. Anyways, we do what normal people do. Wake up, feed the baby, husband go to work, make dinner, decorate for Christmas, talk to my family on the phone all the time, blog, do the dishes, go to bed. Mundane? sometimes. Mostly not. It's simple. Small. VALUABLE. You see, since after I graduated High School, I was always ready to experience the next thing after the next thing. It started with hurricane relief, then sierra leone, then skydiving, than road trips, then climb some mountains, than the east coast, then guatemala, then the world race, then don't stop moving, get married, have a baby. Now, in a house, with a baby, a husband, pinterest, and meal planning. But as I think about this seemingly "normal" life, I am more confidant and content then ever. See before, I felt as though life was pointless unless I had a plane ticket always purchased. For once, I am letting God bring life to my doorstep. I don't need to hop on the next plane to have a valuable life; however, never a bad idea. Right now, he is building up dreams and passion in my heart that I never knew I had. I had no idea I could be a good cook. I had no idea how creative I could be - because you just have to be when you are home all day without a car. I had no idea how much I love organizing. I had no idea more and more how much I want to make people comfortable. As the Lord brought a friend to reside in our basement for now, I am thankful for the opportunity to serve, in this seemingly normal life. To serve him in the ministry of caring for my home and my family. I was telling my friend today that sometimes we need to take small steps before we just try to leap to a major goal. Like I would love to have a house full of children who need a home and love. But God knew, he knew, that at first, I would struggle with just having one. He is building me up as his plans for my life unfold everyday. My life is abundant in His love. This life is simple, and I am content even when I know he has given me dreams in my heart that look different then how I live today. But I believe in his promises and can rest in the NOW, and enjoy what he is doing NOW. So when you feel like your life just feels too simple, too normal. Remember, you are not just a normal person to God, you are unique, and he has a plan stirring up for you in the mundane. Just pay attention to what he is doing within you and let his love make your life full and abundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment