Sunday, March 27, 2011

A LOVE LETTER TO DETROIT

This short article is so beautifully written about Detroit, and maybe more of the attitude we need to have about Detroit.



Surprise, surprise: Detroit got yet another version of rock-bottom news, hardening that looming sensation that the city is just some abandoned movie set.
Frankly, that was my gut reaction when I became a Detroit resident in 2005, and that was before the auto industry went bankrupt. Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick went to jail, and the city lost a whopping 237,500 residents in the last decade.
Yet during my four years living and working downtown before leaving for graduate school, I fell deeply for Detroit’s big-town amenities, small-town intimacy and raw possibility.
Detroit has big challenges. Population loss is discouraging. But it’s not the end. Detroit needs believers, investors and entrepreneurs. Detroit needs to seize this opportunity to redefine itself.
And for what it’s worth, Detroit, you can add two more to your census this July. My wife and I are proudly moving back.
Bradford Frost
Somerville, Mass., March 23, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment