Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nothing

My brother in-law told me a really funny story of someone he knew that went to someones house, saw a picture of a man and said to the family, "wow. he is so hot." The funny part was that it was a picture of "Jesus." Or at least the modern day image of Jesus.

I thought of this story because recently I have been really thinking about what false images come to mind when I read the bible. For example, when I read about the birth of Jesus in the bible I picture this magical night with lights and snow and perfect harmony. The fact is that Jesus was born in a barn and put in a box where the animals ate out of, and Im sure the story of the flood is totally screwed up in my mind, but the one image that I have always had so messed up is Jesus. Who knows? He may look like the picture of the tall, dark and handsome man with perfect physique or he could be more the description that the bible gives of him. (the bible description is more than likely)

... he had no form or majesty that we
should look at him,
and no beauty that we should desire him. Isaiah 53:2

When my husband reminded me of this verse he really made a good point. He asked, "why then were so many people drawn to him?" The only answer there could be, was the Glory of God that came out through him. This is so consistent with what is said in 1st Corinthians. 

..not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Corinthians 1:26-29

God can use anything to bring about his Glory, but it is very significant when God chooses to use the ugly, the hurting, the broken, the nothing, to bring about something great. THEN, there is no other explanation then God's Glory. Even the disciples were described as "unschooled, ordinary men."
Only God could have use a blind, mute, amputee, to tell my husband about Jesus. 
Lets keep looking for the real Jesus in the most unexpected places.

No comments:

Post a Comment