Tuesday, October 23, 2012

TEN

Little man slept from 7:30pm -10am today. And he only popped up out of his crib at 10 because I decided to peek and make sure he didn't run away in the middle of the night. OK. Maybe I was getting a little nervous. But it sure made for a happy, pleasant, and polite little boy and he even asked for his nap today. It makes me wonder what is coming next. I know changes in sleep patterns can mean hitting new milestones and I'm excited and a little antsy about him growing up much more (even if it is just another tooth). I could bottle up this age forever!

So what did I do till 10? Um. Stayed in bed and read a book, folded a LITTLE laundry, ate slow, and actually decided to take time on my computer and read some articles that I pinned on pinterest. AND, missed Matthew. While I would never complain about a quiet morning by myself, I missed him. By 9 I was ready to hear him shout "MOOOOM" from his bed so we could start our day. Yea, I enjoy him that much.

But back to pinterest. For moms of boys, this article is FABULOUS. It makes it fun, encouraging, and a little less confusing about being a mom to a boy. While I am totally not into comparing boys and girls in the way they play, (my girly little niece LOVES to tackle, play in the mud, and is the biggest risk taker of a kid I know) boys and girls do have different brains. I really know this, I'm married. But I LOVE boys and am super excited to have two boys to rough house with and to stand at the street corner and watch semi-trucks go by for an hour (yes, we do that). So moms AND dads of boys, check out this article. It is wonderful. http://kelleyward.hubpages.com/hub/Parenting-Boys-What-Boys-Need-From-Moms

And maybe the last point in the article, #17, just made me cry. I agree 10,000%.

17. Enjoy his boyness. Michael Gurian, wrote another book called “The Wonder of Boys" and in an interview with Newsweek magazine (1998) he said, “If Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer were alive today we would say they had ADD or a conduct disorder. They [boys] are who they are, and we need to love them for who they are. Let’s not try to rewire them.” A mom, who respects her son's energy level, creativity, sensitivity, unique learning style, need for movement, and special sense of wonder, teaches her son to enjoy being a boy.
For a mom, raising boys is both a challenge and an opportunity to obtain a special glimpse of the world from a boy's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment