Wednesday, July 27, 2011

freeeeedom! yah!

im a doer. i like to do a lot. its what makes me feel worthy. but when i  feel like im not doing enough i am hard on myself. i know that first and foremost life isn't about my good works but it is about being loved by God. we are worthy because God loves us freely; no other action on our part.

but my doing spills over into my christian walk unintentionally. as Christians we tend to have a checklist creating a caged lifestyle of Christianity, rather than a freestyle.
my mentor told me something today that was so profound. she said at the end of the day, you just need to ask yourself, "did I do what the holy spirit asked me to do today?"
i told her that it sounded like "doing" again.
but she corrected me. the caged style, the checklist is more like this. did i pray today? did i read my bible today? did i love like i was suppose to today? did i go toy church this week? did i show someone compassion? did i fast on the monday like i said i would do? because of our checklist we often leave no room for flexibility. we then begin to feel guilty if we sway from our checklist routine. and guilt is not from the Lord.

but what if we lived the feestyle way? what if the holy spirit is saying to skip your morning prayer time on your porch and he really wants you to take a walk down the street so you can minister to someone. or maybe the spirit really needs you to sit and soak in worship music rather than the 5 chapters of Luke you are trying to cram into the day. what if we missed God telling us to go out to lunch with a friend who wants to love on us because we are determined to stick to a fast. not that any of those are bad; if, and only if the spirit is telling you to do it. if you dont do something and feel guilty about it, its an action driven by your own will. not the Lords. all that to say, the Holy spirit isnt so caged like, he doesnt have checklists. he is more like the wind. THAT sure brings lots of freedom; kinda takes the pressure off.

This Lord is the Spirit. Wherever the Lord's Spirit is, there is freedom.    2 Corinthians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment